RE:Naked Man Seen Walking in Downtown Burlington

stevieLorna wrote:
If we want the wider community to accept nudism as a healthy non sexual pastime then you have to stand with the wider community and point out the weird behaviour of those who wish to abuse the lifestyle for their own sad gratification.

I agree. There's a time and a place for everything, and we have to respect the mores of the people around us. That's the way we get respect for our mores. A naked man parading in front of middle-school children is not doing our reputation any good. But we need to convince the community that, in our own domains, we see nothing wrong with having children see us naked, or children being naked in front of us. And we should be allowed to do that, within our own domains.

And the larger community has to be more open to respecting those domains. Otherwise, there would be no nude beaches, no naked bike rides, no resorts, no areas where nudity is overlooked, if not actually sanctioned.

Oh and Woodsman, the girl in the bikini in the street not acting in a sexual manner, also irreverent because every hetro male will be sexualising her. Thats the world we live in. And by that I mean bikinis are normal on the beach not at the bus stop on the high street.

Agreed. I was merely pointing out that the woman in a bikini at the bus stop is as legally clothed as the woman in a maxi-dress or a business suit. That's the distinction I was addressing. I was pointing out the absurdity of a cop saying, "Well, there's nothing I can do right now about it, but if she shows a nipple, that's different, and I can nick her." The recent upsurge in women's right to breast-feed in public is a reflection on the absurdity of that mind-set, and I consider the affirmation of that right to be a good sign.

This post was edited

Woodsman
not sure what you mean by this which domains are you referring to?

But we need to convince the community that, in our own domains, we see nothing wrong with having children see us naked, or children being naked in front of us. And we should be allowed to do that, within our own domains.

How do you imagine this will happen?

[qoute]And the larger community has to be more open to respecting those domains. Otherwise, there would be no nude beaches, no naked bike rides, no resorts, no areas where nudity is overlooked, if not actually sanctioned..

This post was edited

homeclothesfree wrote:

Woodsmannot sure what you mean by this which domains are you referring to?

I meant "areas or environments where nudism is accepted, and there would be no legal restrictions to going nude." Community acceptance means that such environments are respected or at least tolerated by the community at large.

How do you imagine this will happen?

A damn good question. Community outreach might be some way. Our local non-landed club had a booth at Sacramento's Earth Day celebration, where we handed out literature on AANR, TNS, and our local club. I don't know how many nudists we "recruited," but that wasn't the point. The point was just to let them know who we are and what we believe, and let them know that we were there.

Another effective way was persuading the community that we have money to spend to improve it. When nudists were in the area of Haulover Beach, they paid whatever they could in two-dollar bills. When local businesses saw large numbers of these bills showing up in local banks and cash registers, they realized how much the nudists were contributing to the economy of their community.

Other suggestions would be welcome.

This post was edited