Annoying you are nudists

We've been nudists for many years now but kept it quiet from friends and family due to them not understanding what nudism is. After a recent event we felt it's time to be more open and no longer hide who we are. The plan to do this slowly then finally announce on social media to the rest whilst at a nudist beach on holiday.

Yesterday I accidently sent pictures and a message to relative which give it all away. She took it very well and wasn't surprised at all. A few messages later though came across exactly why we've kept it quiet. She was asking if we went to swinging clubs. We've always known the average person sees nudism as something sexual which she clearly has.

How did everyone else announce it and have you faced similar reactions?

This topic was edited
RE:Announcing you are nudists

We've been nudists for many years now but kept it quiet from friends and family due to them not understanding what nudism is. After a recent event we felt it's time to be more open and no longer hide who we are. The plan to do this slowly then finally announce on social media to the rest whilst at a nudist beach on holiday.Yesterday I accidently sent pictures and a message to relative which give it all away. She took it very well and wasn't surprised at all. A few messages later though came across exactly why we've kept it quiet. She was asking if we went to swinging clubs. We've always known the average person sees nudism as something sexual which she clearly has.How did everyone else announce it and have you faced similar reactions?

This post was edited
RE:Annoying you are nudists

Sorry should have been titled announcing you are nudists, bloody spell check.

This post was edited

Sorry should have been titled announcing you are nudists, bloody spell check.

This post was edited
RE: Announcing you are nudists

Oh well, the predictable response is annoying!

This post was edited
RE: Announcing you are nudists

I have lots of stories just like this. And to many think its a swingers club. You cant change their minds so be careful what you say to who!

This post was edited

How did everyone else announce it and have you faced similar reactions?

Years ago I was getting a massage and mentioned to the guy that i was heading to a nudist meet up that afternoon. He immediately asked about an orgy. I assured him that nothing would happen that did not happen at an adult clothed party. We just do it naked.

As for the annoying/ announcing that is why I refer to such " feature" as autogetwrong

This post was edited

You can say you like to go into the sauna and see what happens. If there is a positive response you can say more, if not, not.

This post was edited

Though we've not come right out and said, "we're nudists!", we've made no attempt at keeping it a secret on where we've gone and where we stay. In this day and age, you tell someone where you've gone and stayed, and they immediately do a search. When the subject has been broached, we will answer honestly and openly but then the conversation dies due to their embarrassment.

I was always willing to tell everyone, family, friends, neighbors, but my wife is a private person and would rather I did not. Very early in our lives, we agreed to live this way and raise our girls as nudists. They stopped living as nudists in their pre-teens/early teens. They always knew we continued and know that we are still nudists to this day. Our sons in law know as well as our grandkids. Those are the most important people in our life that need to know.

We opened up to close neighbor friends and for a short while they avoided us. They felt as if we might be trying to draw them into swapping/swinging. After those times, my wife decided to keep it under wraps. As time passed, we made new, closer friends. There was always some slip of the tongue that exposed our lifestyle. A question or two followed and then the conversation dropped. When the subject of a local nudist club surfaced in conversation, one female friend said, "we bought a house near that creepy nudie place!" These are people in their 60's talking like 12-year-olds. This was another sign that it was best to just keep this info to ourselves.

In the end, I/we don't think it's the best idea to tell everyone about your life, lifestyle or nudist/naturist tendencies. It's not a prerequisite for a happy nudist life if everyone knows.

This post was edited

I'll announce my preference to be naked given the right context. However, there's no label I'm comfortable with. In this area of the US, nudists are more likely to be retired couples who ban families and single men. I won't associate with that. Naturist sounds too much like the profession naturalist in the textile world. Terms like clothing optional and sun-clad are at least more descriptive than a defined ism with its set beliefs and lifestyle. As far as being for swingers, etc., it's hard to find people and places where you can be naked, sexual and respectful to others all at the same time. With all the labels people use, I agree that it's annoying to hear that you are nudists and many other things, too.

This post was edited

Most of my friends are nudist anyway so it's not something I deal with a lot. However, I have told four of my non nudist friends. There was nothing awkward about it. I think in my part of the world, the climate and beach/outdoor culture tends to make nudity come naturally to more people, so it's not so much seen as weird.

This post was edited