Group Settings

So I basically inherited moderation of this group. It was set up as private and I have to approve new members. I'm not sure I see the purpose in this, although, I did reject a guy from China that had no ties to Colorado or even the US. I guess being a private group makes it possible to keep scammers out. Anyone have any thoughts on if this should be a private or public group?

This topic was edited
RE:Group Settings

ALL our groups are set to Private. I also make settings in the management of the group to approve ALL photos before they are uploaded to the group gallery. I've inherited several Public groups here and it was a PITA deleting all scammers, pervs and undesirables. Not to go unmentioned, people who hadn't posted a response to any discussions in several months or even years, even though belonging to 50 or more groups.

If you want your group/groups to truly have any significant value in the information you're sharing, I'd keep them Private and screen your perspective members. Check their profiles. Look for content and contribution to discussions. I've not approved many who are solely here for group and friend collection. So many here have hundreds of friends and when you search their profiles, you find that their friend list is nothing but young females. The profile pics speak volumes of why they are here.

I also cull the members list of all our groups a few times a year. Many have not logged on in several months or over a year. I delete those. My only complaint is that as Moderator of groups, we can't delete any of the photos already approved. I think we should, as moderators, be able to delete pictures of members of our groups that are no longer group members or members of TN.

This post was edited

All PUBLIC Groups can be seen by ANYONE on the internet. You do NOT have to be a registered TN member to see all content, members and photos. Just open a new INCOGNITO Window in Chrome and paste in the URL and you will see what is visible to the public. This is also the case for all profiles. I wrote a blog related to this called "Setting Up A Profile" for ways to avoid making your profile completely private and opaque in order to avoid this.
https://www.truenudists.com/members/blogs/
To the point of your question, making the group PRIVATE keeps the content and its members Private from the general Public. I've added a screenshot of a random Public Group opened Incognito Mode on Chrome. You can see the all the content clearly visible. Member, Moderator, number of members, etc.

This post was edited

You convinced me. Private is how it needs to be.

This post was edited