RE:Speedos or board shorts

I have one pair of swimming trunks that I bought 15+ years ago and they are board shorts. They don't get that much use, but if I am in a textile situation I would feel uncomfortable in speedos, yet in a naturist situation I am not at all uncomfortable being nude. When they wear out (which might not be for another 15 years!) I will look into tan through options somewhere between board shorts and speedos.

This post was edited

Thats a great idea.I own 3 pair, different designs, of tan thru suits. I took them all for our stay at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun, with our daughter and her family. It was a textile resort, so we had to be covered, obviously. It was summer and it was hot. I had other shorts but chose these tan thru suits as my bottom 1/2 covering for all off the resort excursions. They worked great. I will, frequently wear them to the market or on errands, with a Hawaiian shirt or t shirt.Do yours have pockets? Mine don't.If not, what do you do with your wallet. keys, phone, etc.?

Because I carry so much crap, nowadays, I take along a sling type fanny pack. I wear it over my shoulder instead of my waist. My wallet, my car keys, my cell phone and my glass case. Even if my tan thru's had pockets, I'd not be able to put all that crap in my shorts. I don't when I do wear regular shorts with two back and two front pockets!

This post was edited

Thats a great idea.I own 3 pair, different designs, of tan thru suits. I took them all for our stay at an all-inclusive resort in Cancun, with our daughter and her family. It was a textile resort, so we had to be covered, obviously. It was summer and it was hot. I had other shorts but chose these tan thru suits as my bottom 1/2 covering for all off the resort excursions. They worked great. I will, frequently wear them to the market or on errands, with a Hawaiian shirt or t shirt.Do yours have pockets? Mine don't.If not, what do you do with your wallet. keys, phone, etc.?Because I carry so much crap, nowadays, I take along a sling type fanny pack. I wear it over my shoulder instead of my waist. My wallet, my car keys, my cell phone and my glass case. Even if my tan thru's had pockets, I'd not be able to put all that crap in my shorts. I don't when I do wear regular shorts with two back and two front pockets!
I have some 5" inseam 6 pocket cargo shorts so I have enough room for everything in reasonably short shorts.

This post was edited

I think the topic's drifted into 'Shorter shorts' more than textile swimming attire!

Having said that, I also make the choice between pockets or not as my preferred short running shorts either have no pockets or one that's only good for something lightweight such as a single key - not a bunch, let alone a wallet or phone. Hence my short shorts are limited to trips where I'm prepared to hold things in my hands, so quick runs to the shops tend to be limited one or two items although I have placed my wallet and phone in my shopping cart on occasion. Anything more extensive means the not-so-short shorts with proper pockets.

The idea of tan-though shorts as general wear is not an avenue I've persued, but want to try that now. Perhaps a larger size may make them look less like swimwear when combined with a shirt... Hmmmm.

As for swimming, I should take heed of the earlier poster that was given permission by his department of fashion to continue wearing Speedos as long as he achieved the body to match. Project starts on the weekend after the colleague-supplied donuts of today and the work-supplied lunch buffet tomorrow!

This post was edited

I like the square-shaped, snug swim trunks too, when I must wear anything. They remind me of 1940s and '50s mens swimsuits. The polyester is quick drying. They flatter the basket and butt yet still have 3-4 inches of leg and pockets. In Hawaii, Mexico, and other places, I often go from surf to sand to a casual lunch wearing an SPF shirt and the swim trunks.

This post was edited

When at a textile beach or public swimming pool all options of board shorts, european style trunks or speedos are perfectly acceptable options. And none are aged limited either.

I agree that lap swimming wearing speedos of great as they are so practical and comfortable. Easy on and off in the changeroom and showers. And accepted in that pool environment. Speedos also have become popular again with fun and funky brands like budgy smuggler here in Australia and the fun styles they offer targeting all ages. Its great to see. They are super soft and comfy on too! If curious look up their website.

We shouldnt be embarrassed about what we wear on a beach or in a pool. All styles do the job really but I am a speedos supporter as well have wearing board shorts on a beach. And can slip them off too if speedos are worn underneath

This post was edited

speedo's been wearing them since I was 12 in south Florida growing up. I've also wore thongs and skimpy suits when I was younger and thinner . someone mentioned nylon suits I have a black fuller speedo in nylon it's probably my favorite as when wet it's as bare as you can get without being nude and perfectly legal .

This post was edited

I largely wear swim briefs at my gym or whenever I'm swimming laps and it's not a nude or clothing optional environment. If I'm feeling super self conscious that day or it's a crowded textile place I'll wear jammers, which competetive swimmers often wear. Different from other posts, I am overweight, have a bit of a gut, and am over 50, so not the typical body wearing briefs. I just generally don't care. Its just a body! Briefs are the best for swimming lots of laps. I dislike the look of board shorts and don't own any. When I wear other typical swim shorts, like with pockets and liner, it feels like I imagine it would feel wearing a wet diaper, just not comfortable, especially after swimming 500+ meters.

This post was edited

I used to swim laps daily, wearing 1/2 inch side aussiebums (speedo-style but more brief). Tried jammers but didnt really like them. Now Ive moved to a beach I still wear them. Im no model, but I dont care - if I have to wear something then its going to be brief. If theres no-one else nearby on the beach Ill roll the back up surf-boat-crew style to reduce the tan line. I dont ride a board, so why would I wear boardies?

This post was edited

In two days I will be in south steaming hot Florida with my wife and her two female friends in their fifties and sixties. Wife told me that both of her friends on different occasions in the last couple of weeks said quote he is not going to wear his speedos is he? Well the first two days it will just be wife and I and she already has my speedo picked out. She knows I hate shorts and its the one she considers public friendly. Ya know like a regular speedo. So my goal besides being totally naked in front of the three of them which will probably never happen and good because I would get hard and my wife would be hurt and it would ruin our vacation. But my goal is to gain unanimous permission to wear at most the full sized speedo my wife has picked out in front of her friends. And of course I will have my little rio style panty type suit in case I can progress to something for comfortable that they will allow. We will be mostly at a private pool in an association shared by about eight condos. probably with hardly any people this time of year. My plead will simply be will you wonderful ladies please let me sunbathe without these baggy uncomfortable shorts so I dont get these tan lines that I hat so much. I wont get up and walk around if you dont want me too. And go from there. Tbc

This post was edited