Destroying clothing

Anyone ever rip up unwanted or worn out clothing?
I have done so on several occasions and always find it liberating.

This topic was edited
RE:Destroying clothing

Nope! Wash 'em - Dry 'em - Donate 'em to Goodwill or Salvation Army! They can decide if they can find a use for them.

This post was edited

I use them till they aren't usable as clothing then use them some more for grease rags in the shop, and finally get burned up. While I do not dislike clothing, (it does feel pretty good when I need some warmth) I dislike having to wear it all the time.

This post was edited

Nope! Wash 'em - Dry 'em - Donate 'em to Goodwill or Salvation Army! They can decide if they can find a use for them.

When I was reducing my underwear supply we tried to donate the first and largest batch and no one would take it.
Much o fit was in good condition.
Do you just drop it in one of the collection bins?

This post was edited

No, we do not destroy our old clothing. If it's in good condition and reusable, we donate it. If it's not in useable condition, it's thrown in the trash. The ONLY clothing I cut up and use for rags are my old FD t shirts. I do not donate any article of clothing, usually t shirts and shorts, that have my dept. logo on it. Those are cut up for rags, used to clean up leaking oil spots from my classic car and then thrown away afterwards.

I don't hate clothes, I just prefer not to wear them whenever I do not have to. They are a necessity at times and we will always have to have clothing, even if the world were to miraculously do a 180 and everyone went naked. Clothing for protection from the elements is necessary and within our society to date.

This post was edited

Old clothing gets used for rags and my wife often feels mine don't get converted to that use soon enough.

This post was edited

No, we do not destroy our old clothing. If it's in good condition and reusable, we donate it. If it's not in useable condition, it's thrown in the trash. The ONLY clothing I cut up and use for rags are my old FD t shirts. I do not donate any article of clothing, usually t shirts and shorts, that have my dept. logo on it. Those are cut up for rags, used to clean up leaking oil spots from my classic car and then thrown away afterwards.

Excellent thoughts. We never discard items till they are totally useless. And I mean when they are pretty much atoms of dust ... LOL.
I still harbor the attitudes of my parents and grandparents who used and reused every item they had or helped a neighbor with things when they were down and out.
A philosophy that has never gone out of style at our home!

This post was edited

Mary (textile) gives hers to the local clothing bank, and mine are always too worn out. So they get converted to rags. All except for my skivvies: Still in my drawer, but I'll never donate them, simply because I don't want to ever be audited after using my UNDERWEAR as a deduction, as the Clintons did. :P :D

This post was edited

Mary (textile) gives hers to the local clothing bank, and mine are always too worn out. So they get converted to rags. All except for my skivvies: Still in my drawer, but I'll never donate them, simply because I don't want to ever be audited after using my UNDERWEAR as a deduction, as the Clintons did. :P :D

If you are often nude, how do your clothes wear out before you are ready to part with them?
Do you wear the same things for years and keep purchases of new clothing to a minimum?

This post was edited

Mary (textile) gives hers to the local clothing bank, and mine are always too worn out. So they get converted to rags. All except for my skivvies: Still in my drawer, but I'll never donate them, simply because I don't want to ever be audited after using my UNDERWEAR as a deduction, as the Clintons did. :P :DIf you are often nude, how do your clothes wear out before you are ready to part with them?Do you wear the same things for years and keep purchases of new clothing to a minimum?

WE are often nude, actually ... always nude at home, but we do have to go out and when we do, we have to wear clothes. I tend to wear the same clothes often. I wear them, put them in the laundry basket and my wife washes them ... I tend to put them back on! :D She doesn't like that much. ;-) I've curbed that addiction.

I still have a closet of clothes and some things either go out of style, I don't like anymore or ... the dreaded "clothes shrinking moths" get to them and they don't fit anymore, so ... to Goodwill they go, unless they are really expensive items like my Tommy Bahama shirts ... I pass those down to my younger brothers that could use some style!

I've not purchased new clothing for a few years. I do get new things for birthday and Christmas and if I need something to replace items I'm donating. But for the most part, I don't buy clothing often at all.

This post was edited

Had the first chance in a long time to rip up some worn out clothing in a long time, cargo shorts with a ripped external and internal pocket and a rear seam that was starting to come apart.
Removed all external pockets and cut holes in the internal ones. Shortened the inseams. Opened crotch seam. Removed zipper. Opened back and side seams. Began to remove panels one at a time until only the waistband was left, but waistband broke when removing the first panel. Threw out all pieces.

This post was edited