RE:Shorter Shorts

I assume that you live in the US? I live in Europe and there's just no way that wearing short shorts, and no shirt, would invite comments like those made in posts here. We are a lot more relaxed about such things. The US is peculiar in that its ok to own a military rifle yet accidentally show a nipple in public [Miss Jackson] will create public outrage and end a career!

Despite what the media may show, in the US its more taboo for men than women. Here in the US we have our own brand of conservatism that is prevalent. God, guns and homophobia. The latter has driven the length of mens shorts longer for years and all but eradicated brief swimsuits. Much has been written about this trend. We simply can't allow men to show more of their bodies like that because thats just...gay. Whatever. But girls? You are ok to wear those bootie shorts. Weird double standard. I grew up in a time when shorts were short although I was not allowed to wear them until I left home. I wear mine as short as I like now and don't much care what people think and there is nobody to tell me I can't.

This post was edited

The US is peculiar in that its ok to own a military rifle yet accidentally show a nipple in public [Miss Jackson] will create public outrage and end a career!

What's more absurd is you can have all the blood and gore, mass murder, beheading, bodies being blown up, etc. in a movie and get nothing worse than an "R" rating. Show any more than a brief moment of incidental nudity and SLAM, NC-17. Get really raunchy, and you get saddled with an "X".

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited

The US is peculiar in that its ok to own a military rifle yet accidentally show a nipple in public [Miss Jackson] will create public outrage and end a career!What's more absurd is you can have all the blood and gore, mass murder, beheading, bodies being blown up, etc. in a movie and get nothing worse than an "R" rating. Show any more than a brief moment of incidental nudity and SLAM, NC-17. Get really raunchy, and you get saddled with an "X".John aka cobeachbum

Back on topic, I am getting comfortable in my 3" gym shorts. As the longer ones wear out, they will be replaced with more of these.

This post was edited

I've always preferred shorter shorts. I still wear some when we walk or work out in the front yard. I had to stop wearing them in public. I haven't worn underwear in decades, 5.5 decades actually. As I've gotten older, I hang much lower nowadays and with the shorter shorts, I was exposing a bit too much. Even with the longer inseam shorts, 5-6 inches, I still need to be careful. I could keep the liner in to avoid this, but I hate those liners. It's the second thing I remove from new shorts, after all the tags.

This post was edited

Back in the 70's I wore very short cutoffs.
It was easier to do then because more men wore them and I always wore briefs under them.
Now that I don't own underwear, 3" is as short as I dare go in public, and 5" if I will be sitting with other people facing me.

This post was edited