RE:What have you all been reading?

I discovered the cross over writer Ruta Spetys . Her books are geared for young adults and are often told from their perspective. But historically set novels have plots and characters any age can get into. Salt to the Sea is set in the waning days of WW2 with the Soviets bearing down on Germany and the civilians who are fleeing before them. They are chased aboard a ship to escape. I Must Betray You is setting as communism fell in the late 80s in Romania. Having just done a guided tour of Bucharest that our guide described living through those days made the book very real to me. Fountains of Silence is 1950s Spain under Franco and Between Shades of Gray is set in the Soviet Union and deals with deported Lithunians

West with Giraffes by Linda Rutledge is a fun novel based on the true story of the transportation of 2 African giraffes across the USA to San Diego.
Michael Sears has a series of thrillers / mystery set in the world of finance. The draw for me is that the main character who has an autistic son
who he is trying to raise. My nephew is on the scale and it is very insightful into what my bro and his wife have to deal with. Black Fridays is the first one in the series.

This post was edited

Ruta's books are excellent. She lives not far from us and is an excellent writer. We just finished David Baldacci's latest "Calamity of Souls" which was very well done.

This post was edited

Ruta's books are excellent. She lives not far from us and is an excellent writer. We just finished David Baldacci's latest "Calamity of Souls" which was very well done.

My wife is currently reading "One Summer" by David Baldacci. Had to laugh. I asked her what the name of the David Baldacci book she was reading. Her response was... "hmmm, I don't know!" "You're reading a book, and you don't know what the name of it is?" To her defense, this is the 4th book she's read in the last 6 weeks!

I'm currently reading a Larry McMurtry book, "The Last Kind Words Saloon". McMurtry also wrote Lonesome Dove. We'd never seen the series until recently. It was actually quite good.

This post was edited