thoughts on nudist resorts and why they seem so segregated ?

would love to start a naked skype group and discuss this topic. i listed to various nudist podcasts that tackle the subject. it seems to either gay clothing optional places or heterosexual with single male policies.
curious what others think

This topic was edited
RE:thoughts on nudist resorts and why they seem so segregated ?

There's nothing about resorts seeming segregated, it's a fact resorts ARE segregated and discriminatory. However, it's not universal, with places like Florida and California more relaxed and the Midwest (at least several hundred miles around Chicago) more uptight. My thoughts are :
1) resorts are privately owned and can do what they please
2) organizations such as AANR represent the resort owners (not the visitors) and implicitly support resort policies
3) discrimination comes from assumptions that certain people will act certain ways rather than directly addressing behavior with codes of conduct and training videos, etc.
4) the discrimination against men is largely tolerated because of men's traditional privilege and that equality is often incorrectly seen as a zero sum game.
5) discriminatory resort policies drive away younger nudists who either do not relate to them or are also directly or indirectly discriminated against.
6) by judging people rather than behaviors, resorts (and by extension nudism as a movement) become narrowed to a subculture of mature, financially secure women willing to tolerate, chaperone and include certain men.
7) the demographics defined by segregation point to a bleak future for nudist resorts
8) younger pantsless people do not relate to such policies and values and are likely to remain pantsless on their own terms, but not "nudist".

This post was edited

I think that sums it up pretty well. I can only hope that the more puritanical resorts will start failing, and that the more open resorts will continue to sustain themselves, and the former will start looking to the latter as viable business models.

And I've also heard of AANR being primarily an association for businesses and TNS (The Naturist Society) being primarily an association for visitors, and for people who want to practice public nudism outside a resort or business context. That's why I'm a member of TNS but not AANR.

This post was edited

I question if nudist organizations such as AANR in the US or British Naturist Society could define and instill a culture with a code of conduct regarding nudism/naturism. The segregation described in this thread appears to be related to a culture clash between a rather puritanical leave-your-sexuality-at-the-gates and a voyeurer I'm-naked-and-can-leer-to-my-hearts-content with no defined expectation in between. In the wake of sexual abuse, many U.S. organizations have implemented policies defined around how to meet their goals while protecting the interests of their members. Whereas this works when there is a clear difference between minors and adults, behavioral differences and intentions between adults are of course more nuanced. How could nudism be defined within a culture, for example, of respect, privacy and shared vulnerability/nudity? How could such values apply universally to all so single females who've been members for years would feel affirmed and the undesirable male lurkers would get discouraged and move on to something else? This isn't rocket science. This isn't about quotas or discrimination. This is about decency and respect and working towards something defined, positive and responsive to contemporary society.

This post was edited

You've made the case very well, Andy.

I agree that membership in a national organization won't in itself be a guarantee that the person holding it isn't an asshole, but if he's paid a bunch of money to the organization, he might be less likely to be into the scene for the sexual kicks he thinks it might provide. That's one step of the filtering process.

There's a parallel between this subject and the general attitude toward women in society, as I've pointed out elsewhere. The cure to both problems is to start raising boys to be properly respectful toward women and girls, and to call out bad behavior wherever it pops up. It's a tough nut to crack, but it's really the only way to create a culture where nudism can flourish.

This post was edited

On the opposite end of this is a resort that's for men only: Cactus Canyon Campground. It's for all men regardless of sexual orientation, but most of the men there are gay. Regardless, it's not a gay resort. It's a men's resort.
It is not nudist. It is strictly clothing-option. By that I mean, you can decide how much or how little clothing you wear -- everywhere within the resort. Want to swim while wearing shorts? That's fine. Want to soak in the hot tub with shorts on? No problem. Want to be nude the entire time you're there (from check in to check out and everything in between)? That's your choice. Many resorts require some kind of covering while eating in the cafe or restaurant. That's not the case here. You're entirely free to be nude everywhere and at all times while you're at the resort.

This post was edited