RE:Nudist Thoughts on Designer Clothes??

As someone who has never had or considered acquiring designer clothes, I can honestly say I have no view on them. I hate wearing clothing.

This post was edited

I'm not into fashion at all and I never was.

If someone else likes designer clothing, that's totally ok with me, but I'm never going to pay extra to wear designer clothing.

I do like Levi's 501 button fly jeans -- principally because I like the button fly. The fly of a man's pants is a very poor place to put a zipper.

This post was edited

No interest in fashion here either. Jeans with button fly (since I don't wear underwear) and a comfortable shirt or t-shirt is my usual attire. Cargo shorts in summer. Never bought any designer clothing.

This post was edited

No interest in fashion here either. Jeans with button fly (since I don't wear underwear) and a comfortable shirt or t-shirt is my usual attire. Cargo shorts in summer. Never bought any designer clothing.

Do you just wear the shorts without a shirt wherever you can if it is warm enough?
I do.

This post was edited

I fit in the 'couldn't care much less' category when it comes to fashion, though I do appreciate people who take the time in the clothed world to dress nicely or make the effort to pretty up the world with their outfit. My Sunday goin' to church outfit is flip-flops and fuck the rest unless it's cold out. We live about forty yards from the chapel door, so it's all about a towel and a smile (and a mask for the moment, of course), and grab a hymnal on the way in the door! My honey's outfit on a warm Sunday is sandals, a cup of orange juice, and dangly earrings.Consumerism is driving the designer clothing industry and I wish more people would begin to question the 'keeping up with the Joneses' attitude when it comes to what one truly needs to own in clothing. Minimalist thinking helps the environment and she could really use all the help we can give her. The textiles used in, and the making of clothes marketed in the US, predominantly come from countries who do not adhere to sound employee practices, often using either incarcerated people or paying employees unsustainable wages, and in inhumane conditions, to try to squeeze every penny of profit out of the process. That's one more damned good reason to use the clothes you already have (if you've gotta get dressed) instead of buying the newest fashion trend.My woman says I have more clothes than any other nudist in the world and it's likely true. I keep way too much for my nude resort living life. I have paired down a little but should throw at least half my crappy clothes on the bonfire and dance the naked dance around it as it all goes up in flames. Eventually, and unfortunately, I will need some new clothes soon because of job hunting, since most every article of clothing is either old or threadbare or blown out in the crotch (damned jeans don't last the way they used to).

I have the opposite problem. I find getting rid of unneeded or worn out clothes so liberating that I look forward to doing it and get frustrated when I go to long without having and that I can get rid of. Once I am sure that I don't intend to wear something again, if it is in good shape I donate it immediately, If it is wearing out, I cut or rip it to shreads and put the pieces in the trash. Never tried burning any, but I have read here and elsewhere of people who have, Have you? One person on this board said that on his retirement day, he found a private place on the way home, stripped naked, set all of his clothing on fire, and drove the rest of the way home with no clothing in his possession. Someone on another board said that his plans for retirement included picking out a truly minimal amount of clothing to keep and building a bonfire with the rest and inviting his nudist friends to join him and bring any unwanted clothing to add to the fire. Someone else on a third site had the ultimate clothing purge and burn planned for his retirement. During his last week of work, he intended to donate most of his better clothing and stock up on supplies. On his last day, he would burn all of his remaining clothing, see how long he could live with none, and then order just what he needed as situations arose.

This post was edited

Around here there are at least 2 dropboxes in just about every town for clothing. After pickup the clothes are washed then sorted, good clothes are handed out to the needy, and bad clothes are sent to a shop where handicapped people remove buttons and zippers. Then cut the clothes into rags that are bundled and sold as grease rags. The denim which would not be so good for grease rags is separated out and goes to a plant where it is shredded and treated with fire retardants, for blown in insulation.

The 3 R's, reduce, reuse and recycle. And it gives the handicapped something to do and a sense of purpose. And does not add to air pollution ;-)

This post was edited

As someone who has never had or considered acquiring designer clothes, I can honestly say I have no view on them. I hate wearing clothing.

If I have to wear clothes, wearing something that was cut from excellent comfortable and purpose suited fabric to fit me well and to allow me the range of motion and breathability or impermeability necessary is my preference, and this is ultimately what is meant by "design" in "designer", or rather, used to be because the vast majority of branded fashion is mass produced for maximum profit as opposed to anything to do with fit, comfort durability etc. Try merino wool or cashmere against the skin. If I have to wear a sweater, these two fibers kick the rest to the curb in the dust hard.

This post was edited

"Designer" clothing is also designed for maximum profit -- just using a different business model.and this is ultimately what is meant by "design" in "designer", or rather, used to be because the vast majority of branded fashion is mass produced for maximum profit as opposed to anything to do with fit, comfort durability etc.Further, a brand name does not necessarily mean better quality -- but you can be nearly certain that it will mean higher price. As a nudist/naturist, I take a very long time to wear out clothing -- because I rarely wear it.

There certainly are brands that stake their reputation on high quality -- Bosch comes to mind -- but I'm pretty certain they do not make clothing.

Used to work with a guy who bought Walmart work boots. They killed his feet for two months until they were fully broken in and then he had to replace them because they were fully worn out. I bought Wolverine boots. Cost me quite a bit. They are seven years old -- yes, a bit worn but still serviceable.

I paid about $120 for those boots. My friend got boots for $20.00 a pair because "he couldn't afford expensive boots." But instead of lasting him seven years, he bought new boots about every three or four months. Or, at least $420 over the last seven years.

If you're buying "designer" clothing because it really is better, then, by all means, do so. But if you just paying three or four times the price because of the label, then save your money for something more important than clothing.

This post was edited

"Designer" clothing is also designed for maximum profit -- just using a different business model.

and this is ultimately what is meant by "design" in "designer", or rather, used to be because the vast majority of branded fashion is mass produced for maximum profit as opposed to anything to do with fit, comfort durability etc.
Further, a brand name does not necessarily mean better quality -- but you can be nearly certain that it will mean higher price. As a nudist/naturist, I take a very long time to wear out clothing -- because I rarely wear it.

There certainly are brands that stake their reputation on high quality -- Bosch comes to mind -- but I'm pretty certain they do not make clothing.

Used to work with a guy who bought Walmart work boots. They killed his feet for two months until they were fully broken in and then he had to replace them because they were fully worn out. I bought Wolverine boots. Cost me quite a bit. They are seven years old -- yes, a bit worn but still serviceable.

I paid about $120 for those boots. My friend got boots for $20.00 a pair because "he couldn't afford expensive boots." But instead of lasting him seven years, he bought new boots about every three or four months. Or, at least $420 over the last seven years.

If you're buying "designer" clothing because it really is better, then, by all means, do so. But if you just paying three or four times the price because of the label, then save your money for something more important than clothing.

My Prada handmade top of the line boots were $1000 retail, which I wouldnt pay ever, and then I found one pair, my size, one year ago's season (brown this year was black) for $350 taxes included, and over 25 years later the soles are hardly worn, the chamois upper liner in the boots needs replacing and that's it. I'll have them for the rest of my life, but these were made in Italian ateliers that are not open anymore, the production of almost all of the world's leather goods for luxury markets has moved to China. They are without a doubt, the best made footwear I have ever owned or seen, but in the 1990's still, Ferraggammo, Bruno Magli, Prada, Cesare Pacciotti, Fratelli Rosetti, all made in Italy men's and women's both from the most expensive lines to the mid range to the entry level. All made by hand for a dress shoe of any kind but on assembly line with automation. Now, almost none are made in Italy and very few by hand. One of the signs that the clothes I buy aren't being bought (and it's a few things a year, always on sale and always a staple never a frill, I buy my 150 silk ties on ebay for 10 bucks). I still have to work and show professionally so I need clothes that suit the part and if I have to dress formally or semi formally I am going to do it with style and in comfort. None of the clothes I have display labels where anyone can see them. One, I am not paying to advertise the company and two it's vulgar to show off big logos and nonsense like that.

I research the companies and the designers I like, evaluate the construction and the materials used in the garment, but you can tell really good quality from a distance by the way a garment hangs, the way the fabric reacts to light and the feeling of a hand sliding in a pocket, buttoning a button, grabbing a jacket by the collar or boots by the rims, seeing if they seam the fabric to the pattern or print and, what are the buttons made of, plastic or like Prada still did in the 90's each a different kind of shell from white to pearl to black pearl/abalone, green shell, blue shell, shirts for work with 10% synthetics to hold the dyes, stretch better and keep their shape double stitched along all major seams for strength and durability sold in Italy only was maybe 50 bucks a shirt... those lasted 12 to 15 years. Good design didn't always mean maximized profits, that really is a in the last 20 years phenomenon as the old houses and factories and workshops have been eaten up by LVMH and mega corporations like them. Men's clothes in particular used to be a real bargain in a lot of different houses and labels because men wouldnt pay more than so much for this or that, and they counted on the husbands to be brand loyal with their wive's purchases.

The implosion of fashion for the artists and dreamers in the late 90's saw British muse Isabella Blow commit suicide, Alexander McQueen did the same and a guy I knew Josephus Thimister, enormously talented more recently, and sure, lots of confluences but the major thing was the houses were all being bought and turned into donut factories, and there was no place for the creative genius of these artists. But look at Patagonia, LL Bean, North Face the same thing has happened with those companies, so the trend is ubiquitous. I would prefer to never wear clothes but if I must I am going to look damn good and feel it too. If you want a well made pair of levis now, it's 300 bucks for those jeans.

This post was edited