Re:Cameras at nudist locations

Desert Rat, I like what you posted, well said and thought out. I also agree common courtesy, respect go a long way and not just in the nudist lifestyle. I too would love photos of my many experiences with friends at the resorts I have visited. David

This post was edited
RE: Cameras at Nudist Locations

Never thought of taking a camera to the resorts or beaches I visit. Just think it is asking for trouble in so many ways. Even though onemight want pictures to remember their vacations, youhave to respect the rights and privacy of others. This is definitely an interesting subject.

This post was edited

With advancing electronic camera technology comes the increasing
difficulty of maintaining any sort of privacy everywhere in society, not
just in the places where nudists gather. As with practically every
human activity rules regarding the use of cameras at nude resorts are
necessary to try to be fair and keep the majority happy, but there will
always be those who ignore the rules. This discussion ignores a
significant underlying issue which never seems to be addressed. Why are
we so sensitive about being photographed? Or perhaps the question should
be, why are we so sensitive about having strangers see photos of us
enjoying our preferred lifestyle? Many of us seem to be comfortable
while nude in the presence of other nudists, but are averse to being
seen by others. I've never been able to understand what the difference
might be. People who look at me have no effect on me, and if anyone
would want to photograph my nude body, that wouldn't affect me either.
And even if this photographer posted my nude picture(s) on every
newspaper, magazine, and website he could find, so what? No one would
really care. There is a lot of paranoia among our ranks.

I believe there is general agreement among us that there should
be no shame or embarrassment about nudism, but very few of us act like
we truly believe that. Our approach to our privacy is pretty juvenile.
We don't even reveal our surnames to our friends at nude resorts. Few of
our clubs reveal their association with nudism on signage that is
visible to the general public. Even the ANNR Bulletin is mailed out in
an envelope on which there is no hint of its connection to nudism. This
nonsense reminds me of a group of kids building a secret clubhouse in
the woods where they gather to do whatever they want and exclude others.
Our
apparent fear of public exposure is very much over-rated. If President
Clinton can be exposed for engaging in sexual activities with an intern
in the Whitehouse and still remain in office then I can't imagine there
would be any serious effect if nudists were "outed". There are many
nudist activists in the public arena who seem to manage somehow. Some of
us have already realized that trying to hide our lifestyle from others
is not a good idea. The old approach is not serving our interestes.
Isn't it time to come out of the closet? How can we expect the acceptance of our lifestyle by the general public if we're afraid to admit that we participate in it?

This post was edited

Wow, this sounds like something I might have written! Almost everyone knows that I enjoy nudist activities and if they want to view photos of me, so be it.

This post was edited

I have pictures taken at resorts. There are very few resorts where thiscan be done.Also, even if it is said that it's ok, one should make sure no one else is in the background. If your not sure, leave the picture taking device behind.

This post was edited

In the real world of the average person, society as a majority still frowns upon social nudity, and as nudists, we still have to live and work within that arena.
With all due respect this statement is nonsense, but it proves my point. Back in 2000 the Nudist Education Foundation commissioned Roper to conduct a poll to determine people's attitudes toward nudism. One of the questions asked if it should be legal for people to go skinny dipping and to nude sunbathe in places designated for such use. 80% of the people responded that they felt it should be allowed. Only 20%, or one in five, objected to the idea.
For you and others to think that the majority of people frown on our lifestyle borders on hysteria. Where does this notion originate? Nothing could be further from the truth. If you turn on the light you'll find there is no reason to fear the dark. There really is nothing to fear, but fear itself.
Come on, crack open that cloet door so you can at least peek out and see a little of what's going on.

This post was edited

Cameras have always been banned at nudist locations, but with the changing technology ofphotography, I believe that it is time to set a more realistic set of rules for the use of cameras. Personally, I am not opposed to taking photos at nudistlocations. From the many photos posted in members profiles it is apparent that I am not the only one who believes this. Actually I sort of resent not being able to take pictures at various resorts, but that is their rules so I follow them. This is one of the reasons I am writing this post; to update the rules. Another reason is that we have hadmany activities and great times with some great people and have nothing tangible to remember them by. Photos would be most appreciated so we could remember all the great times. So here's my suggested set of rules for taking photos. 1. Always have permission of the subject before taking any photo. 2. Be sure of your background. Do not take photos with others in the background. (This is probably the most important rule and the main reason camers are routinely banned.) 3. Do not take candid shots unless the subjects know and agree in advance that it is acceptable. 4. Avoid taking shots from unflattering angles. 5. Never post any photo on line or in any publication with out the consent of the photo subject. 6. Do not share your photos on line with anyone other that the subject of the photos. It seems simple enough. It's simply a matter of showing common courtesy to your fellow nudist. I would hope that others would comment on this and maybe suggest their own rules. The main goalhere is tocreate a new, updated set of rules for camera use at nudist locations.Very reasonable guidelines.
I happen to know that cameras are not banned at all nudist locations - not by a long shot. This is an international forum. Some folks seem to forget that constantly. Each American state has different laws. Different resorts in the states have different rules. For instance, Lake Bronson Club allows cameras. www.lakebronson.com
I have read much in this forum by mature and experienced nudists who clearly speak from personal experience but don't know some things from outside of their nudist neighborhood.

This post was edited

"Cameras have always been banned at nudist locations,"Which nudist locations are you referring to? The ones that I go to do not forbid cameras or camcorders."but with the changing technology ofphotography, I believe that it is time to set a more realistic set of rules for the use of cameras. Personally, I am not opposed to taking photos at nudistlocations. From the many photos posted in members profiles it is apparent that I am not the only one who believes this."Same here."Actually I sort of resent not being able to take pictures at various resorts, but that is their rules so I follow them. This is one of the reasons I am writing this post; to update the rules. Another reason is that we have hadmany activities and great times with some great people and have nothing tangible to remember them by. Photos would be most appreciated so we could remember all the great times. So here's my suggested set of rules for taking photos. 1. Always have permission of the subject before taking any photo."Agreed.2. Be sure of your background. Do not take photos with others in the background. (This is probably the most important rule and the main reason camers are routinely banned.)As long as you don't post them to the internet. Sometimes if it is a very crowded event it is near to impossible to get people out of the background unless you do a bit of tweaking with the likes of Adobe Photoshop or Picasa 3."3. Do not take candid shots unless the subjects know and agree in advance that it is acceptable."Agreed in theory, but in principle candid shots mean that the subjects are not aware of being caught on camera at the time the photo is taken."4. Avoid taking shots from unflattering angles"Definitely agree!"5. Never post any photo on line or in any publication with out the consent of the photo subject."Agreed. If you're going to submit the photos to a nudist magazine, get your subject to sign a model release along with some photo ID as proof and send a copy off to the magazine as proof that the subject has consented. If you don't use a release and the photos get published without the model's permission, their lawyer could have your house and car. Always use a piece of paper to keep your arse clean. ;)"6. Do not share your photos on line with anyone other that the subject of the photos. It seems simple enough. It's simply a matter of showing common courtesy to your fellow nudist. I would hope that others would comment on this and maybe suggest their own rules. The main goalhere is tocreate a new, updated set of rules for camera use at nudist locations."Not necessarily. If the subjects in question are ok for the general public to see them, then that's all fine and good. I live by this dictum in the model photography world: "No trust - no shoot".

This post was edited

The only reason the rules have changed ( they have ) is the advent of camera phones.
When anyone, regardless of purpose or motive, can carry a camera phone, and subversively snap photos of anything, unbeknownst to the subject of the photo, there has come a need for a new understanding.
Back "in the day" it was exceedingly difficult to conceal a Hasselblad and covertly snap anything, so there wasn't so much of a concern.
Additionally, the only way to "publish" such at that time, was to sell them to a magazine. Easily traceable.
Today, one can conceal a camera phone, and "publish" on internet. There are sites dedicated to such.
As such, there is a need for new rules. Most places have risen to the challenge, but the pendulum swings and usually too far, so we have total bans on cameras and cell phones where there would be no need *if* people exercised common courtesy.

This post was edited

I personally think the whole suggestion of allowing cameras at nude resorts is preposterous. If it's really nature shots you'd be after, I would suggest you visit a non-nudist part of nature. The only added value of a nude resort would seem to be the presence of naked people. Putting photographs of other people online is questionable at best to begin with, because of - among other factors - the right to privacy and the right of image (it doesn't matter if the person is recognisable or not). That said, however, taking pictures of other people and using them for what I can only assume are recreational purposes, is just as indefensable.Furthermore, as far as the thesis goes that it is a few bad apples that ruin things for everyone else: while it is not the vast majority of nudists who act pervy, it is more than a handful. I have seen guys masturbate at a nude beach, I have seen people stretching their body in every imaginable unappropriate position and I have observed that a cockring - which is nothing more than a sextoy to draw attention to the genitals - in these days is considered by many to be acceptable for nude recreation.I guess my point is that the fact that technology has advanced drastically, is no reason to drop all standards of decency. There are still things like respect and personal integrity and the fact that some people decide that this not an issue for them personally is not a valid reason to allow this. It's sad really, because it's exactly practices like these that give naturism the negative connotation it has in the eyes of many people - who might otherwise not be opposed to the idea.I hope this doesn't come across as too negative, but I do feel it's useful to contrast different visions concerning this issue.
I agree with the previous post that common decency would ressolve much of the issue, but I fear it is far removed from reality.

This post was edited