Catamount Trail along eastern edge of Somerset Reservoir, VT.

Couldnt have picked a more perfect end-of-summer hike than this one. Only did about two thirds up the eastern edge of Somerset Reservoir before running out of daylight but the views were beautiful and the Reservoir water temp was still 78 degrees - perfect for swimming.

Trail struck me as very well marked and easy to follow, with many openings onto the shoreline in contrast to the description on AllTrails. Definitely some wet spots though - mud-proof boots needed! 10-mile dirt road off Route 9 to get there, parking lot for the trail is at the very end (despite a misleading sign) and has loads of space.

I didnt meet a single other hiker all afternoon, though.

This topic was edited
RE:Catamount Trail along eastern edge of Somerset Reservoir, VT.

Beautiful spot! Thanks for the report!

This post was edited

Great to see you got out. This is one of my favorite hikes.

This post was edited

Nice!

This post was edited

nice level trail, was there last year, and yes, the signs are misleading. Parked in 1 lot and started walking naked up the trail/road and had a few cars drive by me. I walked back to the car abd drove further un the road to find the main parking lot where the trail started.

This post was edited

Yes, theres a tiny little lot that has a sign saying Catamount Trail before you even reach the dam but it struck me as awfully small and the trailhead wasnt visible - I figured Id keep going and turn back if another lot failed to appear further down the road. It did, at the very end, and it was much much larger with signs, picnic tables, a Port-a-Potty, and an obvious trailhead.

This post was edited

Three years ago, I hiked this and the trail was not well maintained. After the first opening to the reservoir, it became overgrown. It appears to be better this year, so good news.

This post was edited