Middle of the night bathroom run

I related the story to my adult son of the time when I was staying at my parent's house when I was in my 30's.
I made a bathroom run in the middle of the night wearing just shorts and crossed paths with my mother.
She told me that I should not leave the bedroom without putting a shirt on.
My son said that the next time we stayed over, I should have made my bathroom run in a t-shirt but no shorts.
I said that while the idea crossed my mind at the time, I didn't want to have to explain to the EMT's why my mother collapsed in shock in the upstairs hall in the middle of the night.

This topic was edited
RE:Middle of the night bathroom run

I related the story to my adult son of the time when I was staying at my parent's house when I was in my 30's.I made a bathroom run in the middle of the night wearing just shorts and crossed paths with my mother.She told me that I should not leave the bedroom without putting a shirt on.My son said that the next time we stayed over, I should have made my bathroom run in a t-shirt but no shorts.I said that while the idea crossed my mind at the time, I didn't want to have to explain to the EMT's why my mother collapsed in shock in the upstairs hall in the middle of the night.
That's a funny story and it made me laugh! I could see myself in the same situation.
But it also raises the need for people to use the English language correctly, even when speaking. The addition of the word 'also' would very much change the outcome.

This post was edited

I related the story to my adult son of the time when I was staying at my parent's house when I was in my 30's.I made a bathroom run in the middle of the night wearing just shorts and crossed paths with my mother.She told me that I should not leave the bedroom without putting a shirt on.My son said that the next time we stayed over, I should have made my bathroom run in a t-shirt but no shorts.I said that while the idea crossed my mind at the time, I didn't want to have to explain to the EMT's why my mother collapsed in shock in the upstairs hall in the middle of the night.That's a funny story and it made me laugh! I could see myself in the same situation.But it also raises the need for people to use the English language correctly, even when speaking. The addition of the word 'also' would very much change the outcome.

It was several years ago, so I don't recall the exact wording.
However, I am reasonably sure that my mother would have assumed that the shorts were on when I was sleeping.

This post was edited

My mother lived with us for a few months. My wife made me wear shorts to bed. I never ran not to mom during the night but would in the morning just wearing my shorts. She never said anything but my wife asked me to get dressed before going out. Like my mom has never seen me naked or something?

This post was edited

My mother lived with us for a few months. My wife made me wear shorts to bed. I never ran not to mom during the night but would in the morning just wearing my shorts. She never said anything but my wife asked me to get dressed before going out. Like my mom has never seen me naked or something?

Why did she expect you to wear shorts in your bedroom?

This post was edited

Why did she expect you to wear shorts in your bedroom?

Because I get up often to pee. She would prefer for me to wear PJs but we compromised on shorts.

This post was edited

Why did she expect you to wear shorts in your bedroom?Because I get up often to pee. She would prefer for me to wear PJs but we compromised on shorts.

When we have company, I have shorts handy and put them on before I leave the room.

This post was edited

I related the story to my adult son of the time when I was staying at my parent's house when I was in my 30's.I made a bathroom run in the middle of the night wearing just shorts and crossed paths with my mother.She told me that I should not leave the bedroom without putting a shirt on.My son said that the next time we stayed over, I should have made my bathroom run in a t-shirt but no shorts.I said that while the idea crossed my mind at the time, I didn't want to have to explain to the EMT's why my mother collapsed in shock in the upstairs hall in the middle of the night.That's a funny story and it made me laugh! I could see myself in the same situation.But it also raises the need for people to use the English language correctly, even when speaking. The addition of the word 'also' would very much change the outcome.

A better example of needing more precise language.
We were on a road trip on a warm day and running a little late.
After our last stop, my wife offered to drive.
I said "I'll take my shirt off and buckle up so you can start driving while I take my shoes and socks off."
She said "You can take everything off before we get started."
I removed my shirt, shoes and socks unbuckled my belt and started to unbutton the waistband of my shorts.
She said "That's not what I meant."
I said " But it is what you said."
Since I know well that she doesn't want me to be nude in the car, I left my shorts on.

This post was edited

I related the story to my adult son of the time when I was staying at my parent's house when I was in my 30's.I made a bathroom run in the middle of the night wearing just shorts and crossed paths with my mother.She told me that I should not leave the bedroom without putting a shirt on.My son said that the next time we stayed over, I should have made my bathroom run in a t-shirt but no shorts.I said that while the idea crossed my mind at the time, I didn't want to have to explain to the EMT's why my mother collapsed in shock in the upstairs hall in the middle of the night.That's a funny story and it made me laugh! I could see myself in the same situation.But it also raises the need for people to use the English language correctly, even when speaking. The addition of the word 'also' would very much change the outcome.A better example of needing more precise language.We were on a road trip on a warm day and running a little late.After our last stop, my wife offered to drive.I said "I'll take my shirt off and buckle up so you can start driving while I take my shoes and socks off."She said "You can take everything off before we get started."I removed my shirt, shoes and socks unbuckled my belt and started to unbutton the waistband of my shorts.She said "That's not what I meant."I said " But it is what you said."Since I know well that she doesn't want me to be nude in the car, I left my shorts on.

Two more, one related to nudity and one not.
I made a comment once that I saw more of a friend of mine before he became a nudist, meaning how often. This was before I was into social nudity, Some people jokingly said they would expect that I would have seen more of him after he became a nudist.
One of my son's friends from school lived next to a work colleague of mine. The colleague said something along the lines of "I noticed Erin and Bill (her boyfriend} going into her house after school yesterday. I thought they were going to have an 'afternoon delight' but he was in and out in less than 10 minutes." I suggested that the last phrase might not be the best way to describe what he saw if he mentioned it to either of their parents.

This post was edited

Words matter, and language does not lend itself to clarity, even when one is diligent in avoiding the words that mean different things. Besides that, even cultures who use the same language can snafu the intended meaning due to colloquialism and tone. Fight the word salad!

Two more, one related to nudity and one not.I made a comment once that I saw more of a friend of mine before he became a nudist, meaning how often. This was before I was into social nudity, Some people jokingly said they would expect that I would have seen more of him after he became a nudist.One of my son's friends from school lived next to a work colleague of mine. The colleague said something along the lines of "I noticed Erin and Bill (her boyfriend} going into her house after school yesterday. I thought they were going to have an 'afternoon delight' but he was in and out in less than 10 minutes." I suggested that the last phrase might not be the best way to describe what he saw if he mentioned it to either of their parents.

This post was edited

Words matter, and language does not lend itself to clarity, even when one is diligent in avoiding the words that mean different things. Besides that, even cultures who use the same language can snafu the intended meaning due to colloquialism and tone. Fight the word salad!Two more, one related to nudity and one not.I made a comment once that I saw more of a friend of mine before he became a nudist, meaning how often. This was before I was into social nudity, Some people jokingly said they would expect that I would have seen more of him after he became a nudist.One of my son's friends from school lived next to a work colleague of mine. The colleague said something along the lines of "I noticed Erin and Bill (her boyfriend} going into her house after school yesterday. I thought they were going to have an 'afternoon delight' but he was in and out in less than 10 minutes." I suggested that the last phrase might not be the best way to describe what he saw if he mentioned it to either of their parents.

Plus some words have different meaning from one country to another. We have experienced some of that on our visits to Australia and England.

This post was edited