RE:Greek statuary and the nudist ethos

Agreed. I have read the same in many places.
I have also read that coaches and trainers were also nude and athletes also trained and received their awards nude.

This post was edited

Fascinating thread - please continue since I have little knowledge of this other than enjoying Greek history. I sat at the original stadium on Mt Olympus in Greece and was enthralled by the fact that a millennia ago another person sat exactly where I was sitting and watched the very first Olympic games with naked athletes. Was amazing to feel the stone seat under me in a place and time that has been occupied by hundreds if not thousands before me.

This post was edited

And it's worth noting that the female pudendal cleft was almost entirely absent in classic Greek and Roman sculpture. I suspect that the artists were going toward a more idealized figure that downplayed those parts of the body that were devoted to reproduction. And while male genitalia can't be totally dispensed with, the artist could minimize it... yeah, he's a guy, but it's the rest of the anatomy that's important.As been noted above, the only time you see prominent male genitalia in art of that period is when it's intended to be erotic.
Maybe the genitalia on Michelangelo's David are undersized for a similar reason.

This post was edited

Chapter six of the book Therapy, nudity & joy : the therapeutic use of nudity through the ages, from ancient ritual to modern psychology from Aileen Goodson is a good reference resource IMO

This post was edited

Chapter six of the book Therapy, nudity & joy : the therapeutic use of nudity through the ages, from ancient ritual to modern psychology from Aileen Goodson is a good reference resource IMO

Interesting book! Per Amazon it was published in 1991 and costs $34.50 new or used. I'd like to read it but will hold off.

This post was edited

Looks like a really worthwhile book. I've ordered a copy; book review to follow!

This post was edited

Maybe the genitalia on Michelangelo's David are undersized for a similar reason.

Undersized? From what I've seen around nude men, that size isn't unusual at all. I think it only seems that way because much of the rest of David's anatomy is supersized, so to speak.

This post was edited

If you are interested in sharing your review in the nude reads review section on my site let me know.

Looks like a really worthwhile book. I've ordered a copy; book review to follow!

This post was edited

You can find it on Abe Books and other used book site. It covers the emergence and brief history of the nude therapy movement.

This post was edited

Maybe the genitalia on Michelangelo's David are undersized for a similar reason.Undersized? From what I've seen around nude men, that size isn't unusual at all. I think it only seems that way because much of the rest of David's anatomy is supersized, so to speak.

True, I meant small in proportion to the size of the statue.

This post was edited