Wearing jockstrap in the gym

I find in the gym its mainly older men who wear a jockstrap. Younger men tend not to wear anything or, if they wear underwear, its usually loose underpants. I dont find these give enough support so have usually worn tighter fitting briefs. Jockstraps do the job but I sometimes think they can look a bit too obvious. My own pairs are the usual non-fashion type. What do others think I wonder?

This topic was edited
RE:Wearing jockstrap in the gym

My experience is different. Most of the younger guys at the gyms I go to wear boxer briefs, or occasionally briefs. I tend to go commando.

This post was edited

I think most younger guys don't even know what a jockstrap is unless they've seen it in the locker room or heard about it from online/friends. Since it hasn't been a requirement in USA schools for decades, most younger generations have no clue what it's used for except for as fashion. haha. Sad to say!

This post was edited

When I was much younger and ran and played sports, I wore a jock because that was the standard back then. Since I just walk now and work the circuit machines at the gym, I go commando. Blessed or cursed, I'm not endowed enough to show much and it's never been uncomfortable. I have noticed in the locker room though that many younger guys are opting for sports briefs/boxers. I guess each generation uses what works for them.

This post was edited

I certainly went through a phase of wearing jockstraps at the gym and playing tennis. They definitely provide support for your genitals and the freedom of movement for exercising or sport.

These days Im more underwear free, Im still exercising but not as much as I was in my younger more active years in the gym etc.

I have enjoyed the benefits of a jockstrap but these days Id rather go without they sit in the drawer.

This post was edited

I wonder if jockstraps were a mainly American thing in the past. Growing up in Sydney, I don't think I even knew about them until I saw them associated with gay outfits.
I don't go to the gym so have no idea if they are now worn and why.
As with all fashions, they look good on some guys and not on others.
Interesting to consider ....

This post was edited

Yes I agree, it was certainly not a well known thing in Australia growing up. It was something I discovered when I was out of school.

This post was edited

Jock straps were likely falling out of favor i n the US when I grew up in the late 70s/early 80s. Our high school gym pants had jock straps built into the shorts, so they couldn't be worn on their own. I don't recall seeing any "free standing" jock straps as a kid, which likely reflected my community only. It wasn't until gay culture went mainstream that I saw men wearing only jock straps or g strings.

This post was edited

In Melbourne as a teenager, Jockstraps were worn by footballers only. Not a common item to wear even today. as far as I am aware. They wer designed to protect and support in rough sport situations. Gyms are not the place to wear them! Commando is the go!

This post was edited

In Melbourne as a teenager, Jockstraps were worn by footballers only. Not a common item to wear even today. as far as I am aware. They were designed to protect and support in rough sport situations. Gyms are not the place to wear them! Commando is the go!

This post was edited

When I was in grades 7 through 12, jockstraps were part of the boy's gym kit, and so I saw guys changing into and out of their jockstraps five days a week for all those years. Showers required after gym, so I saw guys out of their jockstraps every day too. It was just the norm. As an adult I often was commando working out, but recently resumed wearing straps after a procedure on a testicle. I am the only one at my gym who wears one, at least that I've noticed. I fit the above category of "older guys". But I went for the "fashion statement" approach--colors, even.

This post was edited