RE:Just remembered story

A very different story about being surprised in bed. 1980's, I was staying in a cheap beach motel in Santa Monica (long since bulldozed for higher-end development) and failed, one morning, to find a bit of money I'd left on the table in the tiny room. Thought little of it, until the middle of the following night, when I stirred awake to realize that someone was moving quietly in the room, somewhere in the yard/meter or so between the foot of my bed and the opposite wall, navigating by the streetlights that illuminated the space. I lay absolutely still, gathering my thoughts and waiting for my heart rate to come up to its daytime level. As soon as I was awake enough to do so, I burst out of bed as dramatically as possible, throwing the covers aside and confronting him with a full-on simian threat posture - arms and legs spread wide, cock still erect with sleep, looming over him as much as possible, with a sudden shout - meaning to shock him abruptly enough to head off any immediate recourse to knife or gun. It worked - after a moment's paralysis, he fled the room.

I followed him as far as the door, and stopped, braced in the doorframe, surveying the balconies and street. He was gone, and despite my shout, no one else was stirring. So I just stood there a good while, until I felt secure enough to close the door and go back to bed.

This post was edited
RE:Just remembered story

Maybe just a quick glance, I will never know. I stayed at a very modest hotel with a door to the sidewalk and a curtained picture window next to it. Knock on the door in the middle of the night got me out of bed and pulling back the curtain carefully to see who was there. Policemen saw me briefly at the window, they were checking on the wellbeing of guests because someone had called about a problem. I threw on shorts to answer the door, they never mentioned anything.

This post was edited