100 rule

Have you heard about the 100 rule when it comes to reading?

When you begin a book , take 100 - your age , if you are not hooked on the book by that page, put it down and start something else.
A avid reader shared that with me today and it makes sense. For me an author has 37 pages to prove him or her self.

This topic was edited
RE:100 rule

This os an interesting idea. However it is not true for me. I would have to read over 50 pages. I can usually tell after a few pages if I am going to like a book or not. I had.to read some awful novels for a college course. I felt after a page or two that I was not going to like it. But I kept an open mind and continued. Although I found some interesting elements, I did not enjoy them.

Then there have been books I have read a few pages and enjoyed them. But for various reasons I had to put it down and not finish.

Back to the point, I think one can tell if a book is going to be good/ enjoyable after a few pages. On can try to read more but by maybe 20 pages max one can tell for sure if it is worth reading.

This post was edited

It sounds pretty random to me.

What's the rationale behind giving a book less of a chance as you get older?

This post was edited

Why allow fewer pages as we age? Perhaps the reality that we have less time available to spend on something that won't be enjoyable or beneficial.

This post was edited

I totally agree. The older you get, the less time you have to waste. Every hour is more valuable than the hour before.

That said, I spent the better part of this year reading "On the Road" my Jack Kerouac. It seemed like the book was going nowhere but I persisted because it is one of the most famous writings of the "Beat Generation". All they did was drive back and forth across the county with stops here and there. It was so repetitive that I finally had to get OFF the road.

I love to read (this my username) but choose carefully where I invest my time, because I have less time left than I used to.

This post was edited

The rule makes sense to me. You older you get the more experience you have with books.
I mostly read the free samples on apple books or amazon. Pretty close to my number.

This post was edited

Hi Karen. I tried a Beat Generation classic once too. Naked Lunch. Probably because it had naked in the title. Thought it was crap. Dropped it.

This post was edited

Never heard of this rule and not sure I would follow it. Once I start something, I want to finish it, whether a book or any other endeavor. For books, I do enough research before starting one that I know it's something I will finish.

This post was edited

I don't see why you'd need a rule for something like this. You give up on a book when you feel like giving up on a book.

This post was edited

Have you heard about the 100 rule when it comes to reading?When you begin a book , take 100 - your age , if you are not hooked on the book by that page, put it down and start something else.A avid reader shared that with me today and it makes sense. For me an author has 37 pages to prove him or her self.

I disagree with rules when I am reading any books, if my mind accepts it I shall continue reading, else I stop and pick up that book after a few months. Knowing fully well that some books take time to build up. A 2000 page book may take 500 pages to build up (in my mind).

If I start to count pages when I am reading then it isn't fun, it is a chore.

And FYI: I am an avid, gay, nudist reader since childhood.

This post was edited

I read the entire first chapter. If the chapter is short Ill read another. Its thee same principle, different details. I never read a bad book using this approach.

This post was edited