Overrun by bots and fakes

It is likely no new news to any real person on this site but it is over run by bots and fake accounts. All spam posts in groups particularly the groups with absent moderators are now the main thing seen in many of those groups.

Earlier today in the chat room around 7:30 p.m. EDT an account supposedly based in Barcelona Spain commented on in response to something I said that they couldnt wait for the weekend. I thought that was strange because Europe and Spain in 6 or 8:hours ahead of EDT. When I asked if they had not started weekend yeah the response was sarcastic Thats what waiting for weekend means." I inquired how that could be if they were 6 hours ahead and the conversation stopped dead in its tracks.

Now there is no requirement that everyone disclose where they are from and I certainly get that someone might want to maintain privacy. But it shows how easy it is for people to pretend to be something that they are not on this site.

More and more the site just goes in the wrong direction and there doesnt seem to be any hope of doing otherwise.

This topic was edited
RE:Overrun by bots and fakes

IKR, these bots are so frustrating

This post was edited

it is so frustrating to do a search of groups by "latest active" and see a half dozen or more of my groups having something posted the same number of hours ago. I know that it means that the same junk message to meet up etc is posted on all of them. Seems like it would be pretty easy to have the website do a search and delete any message that appears multiple times.

This post was edited

Doesnt make for a very engaging profiles. Its a haven for fakes.

it is so frustrating to do a search of groups by "latest active" and see a half dozen or more of my groups having something posted the same number of hours ago. I know that it means that the same junk message to meet up etc is posted on all of them. Seems like it would be pretty easy to have the website do a search and delete any message that appears multiple times.

This post was edited

What's worse is if you send a message to the group Moderator about the 'trash' message ... and nothing happens!! I've even volunteered to help moderate the group and received no response. It's just pure garbage sometimes.

This post was edited

I know the feeling. I have flagged those posts to no avail. Many if not most of the groups have been abandoned as people have left the site. There is one group I am in that the mod hasnt logged on in 12 years. I too offered to mod group but have heard nothing. Not sure anyone is even listening anymore.What's worse is if you send a message to the group Moderator about the 'trash' message ... and nothing happens!! I've even volunteered to help moderate the group and received no response. It's just pure garbage sometimes.

This post was edited

Its getting closer and closer to the time when we have to tell the last one to leave to turn off the lights.

Sadly TT seems to care more for the number of accounts than the actual participants. Its felt like this since the day we joined, but has gotten steadily worse over time.

This post was edited

I couldn't agree more.

This post was edited

Its getting closer and closer to the time when we have to tell the last one to leave to turn off the lights.Sadly TT seems to care more for the number of accounts than the actual participants. Its felt like this since the day we joined, but has gotten steadily worse over time.

Even their number of reported accounts is seriously inaccurate. Sometime after I started posting the real stats, a change was made limiting the number of returned accounts to 5000 making it difficult to do an accurate count. In any event, the true number of *active* accounts is well under 30,000 and that's including all the accounts that logged in once over the last year and will never log in again.

John aka cobeachbum

This post was edited