Is shaving your perineum dangerous?

If you're not medically qualified, never read medical websites. That's my advice. And while not following that advice, I found some websites connecting minor surgery in the perineum caused a nasty bacterium (that only lives on the perineum, I think) to attack heart valves with near fatal consequences, when the valve is faulty.
So, if you have a dodgy heart valve, and you cut yourself down there, you could be providing an opportunity for something bad to happen.
And here's the real rub ; some people have dodgy heart valves without knowing it (eg. bicuspid valves)
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(11)64600-4/pdf
Sleep well!!!!

This topic was edited
RE: Is shaving your perineum dangerous?

If you're not medically qualified, never read medical websites. That's my advice. And while not following that advice, I found some websites connecting minor surgery in the perineum caused a nasty bacterium (that only lives on the perineum, I think) to attack heart valves with near fatal consequences, when the valve is faulty.So, if you have a dodgy heart valve, and you cut yourself down there, you could be providing an opportunity for something bad to happen.And here's the real rub ; some people have dodgy heart valves without knowing it (eg. bicuspid valves)https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(11)64600-4/pdfSleep well!!!!I say PHOOEY!!! The same reasoning would prevent you from eating fresh vegetables or breathing fresh air outside your home. Phooey I say!!!

This post was edited

I shave as well and use veet cream from time to time. Never had a problem down there.

This post was edited

Well, I won't talk about the perineum, but one of our sons had all his wisdom teeth extracted, but did not take prophylactic antibiotics. six months later, he was laid up after having one abscess removed from his brain and 6 months after that the PIC line was finally removed after aggressive antibiotic treatments twice daily.
Yes, he had a heart murmur. Forget which valve it was, though.

This post was edited

I had been shaving for decades and along with shaving my pubic area, penis and scrotum ... I also shaved my anal area and perineum. For decades I've done this and never had a problem. Could it be that before doing this I was in the shower and scrubbed that entire area with a wash cloth and then exfoliation scrubber/puff? I did have a couple of times when I did knick myself and still no problems. the stubble problem stopped when I shaved every couple of days. I didn't have any problems getting to and shaving this area at all.
In the last two years, I've stopped shaving and am now getting waxed. Itlasts much, much longer and I go weeks before I feel any very fine hairs that have grown back. My esthetician is thorough anddoes a completetreatment. I guess it could be dangerous to shave your perineum but it could also be dangerous to have your scrotum and penis ... if you're not careful.

This post was edited

Shaved mine for years, still hereLikewise. I just don't trust myself to shave my own anus.

This post was edited

There are dangers to everything... but not really.
The perineum, for those that aren't certain, is the scientific word for the taint, the area between the genitals and the anus. If you use a rusty razor, don't treat the skin properly, and don't treat a cut properly yes it can be dangerous. Also if you don't wipe front to back when you have a bowel movement and you shave down there you could irritate a potential cut... but for the most part it's no more dangerous than the rest of the shaving

This post was edited