Solstice Hike 2024

The announcement for this year's solstice hike in Vermont is out. Start is at 9am at the AT parking lot on Mt. Tabor Road, east of Mt. Tabor. There are three options based on hike length.

This topic was edited
RE:Solstice Hike 2024

Just listed the hike under events, please sign up if interested, the more the merrier. Last year we had 30 people participate, always fun!

This post was edited

Ok everybody, the annual hike is now only 3 dyas away. Perfect sunny weather, upper 80's, perfect for the hike. If you are still thinking about it, plese consider signing up and joining in, will be a great day!

This post was edited

Wonder if it is too late to push back the hike 24 hours. Understand the weather on Friday, June 21 will be a lot more reasonable. Supposedly the heat wave ( heat advisory ) expires on Thursday night. Daytime temperatures in the 90s and the humidity is high.

This post was edited

Yes, it is likely too late to move the hike of hte 20th. There are likely other hikes that will take place on the 21st, though the details have not been sent by the organizers. The temps will be high, indeed, but the elevation (though not that high) and shade of the woods will help a lot - plus there is the opportunity to cool down during the swim. I'm planning on plenty of water, a hat, and a reasonable pace.

This post was edited

thanks

This post was edited

The weather was hot and the skies were sunny, and the forest was shady, ideal conditions for hiking au natural. We started our hike at 9:30 am and almost immediately crossed Rte. #140 where we received honks and waves from passing motorists. We reentered the forest and hiked 2.5 miles to White Rocks Overlook where we had lunch and enjoyed the view of the valley floor below us. After lunch we hiked 4 miles to Little Rock Pond where we stopped for a well-deserved swim. On the remaining 2.2 miles left of the hike, we encountered a thunderstorm. I covered my pack with a plastic bag that I had brought and continued the hike in the refreshing warm summer rain. We arrived at the trailhead parking lot on Forest Road #10 at 4:30 pm and we socialized a while as we waited for the tail end of the group to arrive. After carpooling back to the starting point, many gathered in Manchester, VT for an aprs hike pizza party. I did not attend as I had a 3-hour drive ahead of me, but I am told by those who did attend, an enjoyable time was had socializing and making new friends for future hikes.

This post was edited

The weather was hot and the skies were sunny, and the forest was shady, ideal conditions for hiking au natural....

Thanks for the great write-up. It was good to see you and others again. Thanks, too, for staying with my slow self for the whole distance to the pond. The heat and relentless climb to White Rocks were intense.

This post was edited

Sounds like it was a great day! Sorry I missed this one! Hope to join next hike. I was able to grt out on a short local hike .

This post was edited

Sorry I took the short hike to Little Rock Pond, but wasn't sure about my sciatic trouble appearing.It was fine , and at least it was a warm up for more hiking.Ill see about Bromley, before I commit.

This post was edited

I was very slow on the longer hike and thankful for those who stayed with me. Hopefully, I'll handle Bromley better but we're out to enjoy the walk and the sun and breeze (if there is one). Planning to get our more between now and then. The message is: all are welcome and we'll (or, at least, I'll) go at the pace needed for all.

This post was edited